LOOM: His & Her Sock Looms, Purple, 64 pegs.
YARN: 450 yrds extra fine merino wool fingering weight yarn. Sample used Araucania in Huesco, color 7.
NOTIONS: tapestry needle, row counter (optional). 3 small buttons, size 7/16” (11mm)
GAUGE: not relevant for this project.
SIZE: approx 9” wide x 31” long
k=knit stitch (may use the u-stitch)
k2tog=A right slanting decrease. Takes place over 2 pegs. Number the pegs 1 and 2, from right to left, as follows: Peg 2 -Peg 1. Remove stitch from peg 1 and hold it. Move stitch from peg 2 to peg 1. Place the loop you are holding back on peg 1. Work both loops together as one loop. *Note: usually, you move this loop over to peg 2 to leave peg 1 empty to create a yarn over.
ssk=A left slanting decrease. Takes place over 2 pegs. Number the pegs 1 and 2, from right to left, as follows: Peg 2 -Peg 1. Remove stitch from peg 2 and place it on peg 1. Work both loops together as one loop.
The stitch pattern repeats over 18 stitches (18 pegs). The first 5 pegs and last 5 pegs will always be in garter stitch. The stitch pattern repeats 3 times in the middle 54 pegs. A stitch pattern breakdown is provided at the end of the pattern. Recommend to try out the stitch pattern first before embarking on the project.
Chart provided if you prefer to work from a chart. Chart shows the stitch pattern over 18 pegs and from Row 1-Row 12 of the stitch pattern.
Cast on 64 sts, prepare to work a flat panel.
**Row 1: k to end. Note: Row 1 should be in a right to left direction (clockwise around the loom).
Row 2: p to end.
Rep Row 1 and Row 2: 3 more times.
Row 1, 2: k to end of row.
Row 2, 4: p5, k to last 5 sts, p5.
Row 5: k5, *k2tog 3 times, [yo, k1]6x, ssk 3 times, rep from * to last 5 sts, k5
Row 6: p5, k to last 5 sts, p5.
Row 7, 9, 11: k to end of row.
Row 8, 10, 12: p to end of row.*
Rep from ** to ** until item measures 27” inches from cast on edge.
Next row: k to end of row.
Next row: p to end of row.
Bind off with basic bind off method. Weave all ends in.
Steam block to measurements.
Secure 3 buttons along the side of the scarf. See picture below for placement.
How to do Row 5
To facilitate the stitch pattern breakdown, we will concentrate on the 18 stitches of the lace stitch pattern. The instructions below will start on peg 6 of your loom. On Row 5, the lace row, the first 5 pegs are knitted. The stitch pattern begins on Peg 6—for the purpose of this demonstration, peg 6 will be called peg 1.
- Move loop from peg 1 to peg 2. Two loops on peg 2. Knit peg 2. Move loop from peg 2 to peg 1.
- Move loop from peg 3 to peg 4. Two loops on peg 4. Knit peg 4. Move loop from peg 4 to peg 2.
- Move loop from peg 5 to peg 6. Two loops on peg 6. Knit peg 6. Move loop from peg 6 to peg 3.
- Pegs 4, 5, and 6 are empty.
- Move loop from peg 7 to peg 5.
- Move loop from peg 8 to peg 7.
- Ewrap peg 4, knit peg 5.
- Ewrap peg 6, knit peg 7.
- Ewrap peg 8, knit peg 9.
- Remove loop from peg 18 and hold it momentarily. Move loop from peg 17 over to peg 18. Place loop you are holding back on peg 18.
- Remove loop from peg 16 and hold it momentarily. Move loop from peg 15 over to peg 17. Place loop you are holding on peg 17.
- Remove loop from peg 14 and hold it momentarily. Move loop from peg 13 over to peg 16. Place loop you are holding on peg 16.
- Move loop from peg 12 to peg 15.
- Move loop from peg 11 to peg 13.
- Move loop from peg 10 to peg 11.
- Ewrap peg 10, knit peg 11.
- Ewrap peg 12, knit peg 13.
- Ewrap peg 14, knit peg 15.
- Knit to the end of the row (the pegs that have 2 loops on them (pegs 16, 17 and 18) treat both loops as one loop).
Special note: pegs 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14 should have been ewrapped (yarn over).
Repeat these instructions every 18 pegs. I recommend getting masking tape and marking your knitting loom (on the masking tape) 1-18, three times—the stitch pattern repeats itself 3 times around the loom. Pegs 1-5 are not part of the stitch pattern, pegs 60-64 are also not part of the stitch pattern.