These oh-so-cozy, yet ruggedly durable slippers are the perfect thing to get your tender feet through the chilly months ahead! Designed for both Men and Women, the thick knit and leather soles make these Romeos the go-to footwear this Fall/Winter season.
Knitting loom: KB Hat Loom (set to 24-28 pegs in the large gauge).
Yarn: 1 (1.5) skein Wool Ease Thick & Quick (108 yrds per skein) (samples in oatmeal and denim), super bulky #6 weight, worked along with 1 (1.75) skein of bulky #5 weight decorative yarn of your choice (samples use Red Heart Curly Q (150 yrds per skein) in mexicali and Loops & Threads Charisma (109 yrds per skein) in mountain majesty)
Notions: set of leather soles, 2 large decorative buttons, loom tool, 6mm crochet hook (for cast on and help with possible missed stitches, etc), stitch markers, scissors, yarn needle, row counter, measuring tape, sewing needle and thread or thinner weight yarn (for stitching on leather soles).
Gauge: 4.5 stitches and 6 rows per 2”
Finished Slipper Measurements:
Women’s Size 7.5-8.5:
Length: Adjustable to size (heel/toe=2.5”) (Sample’s total length measures 10”)
Men’s Size 9.5-10.5:
Length: Adjustable to size (heel/toe=3”) (Sample’s total length measures 11.75”)
Skills Needed: E-wrap, Purl, Double Wrap Short Row Method (shown in video links and step by steps below), Half Hitch CO (or CO of your choice), and Basic BO.
P: purl stitch
KO: knit off
WY: working yarn
BO: Bind off
This pattern is created for ladies size 7.5-8.5, with men’s size 9.5-10.5 listed in parenthesis ( ). If you’d prefer a smaller or larger size, just add or decrease pegs/rows as needed.
As this is working with very bulky yarns, keep tension loose throughout.
Video Tutorials and Web Tools:
Set loom to 28 pegs in large gauge. CO to 24 (28) of the pegs to work as a panel, centering stitches on a long section of the loom.
**Note: CO in a clockwise direction for the left slipper and a counterclockwise direction for the right slipper. (Sample uses the Half Hitch CO, but any CO of preference will be fine.)
Rows 1-10 (12): Work in the following 2 row pattern:
A: S1, EW23 (27)
B: S1, P22 (26), EW1
Button Loop: Working on Peg 1 only, EW and KO 10 times.
Rows 11-20 (13-24): EW24 (28)
Place stitch markers on pegs 7, 11, 14, 18 (8, 13, 16, 21). These will be helpful while turning the heel/toe.
Row 21 (25): Turn heel (Step by step instructions on turning the heel/toe are listed at the bottom of the pattern.)
Row 22 (26): EW24 (28) (KO 3 over 1 on peg 6 (7) ).
Rows 23-36 (27-44): EW24 (28).
*Note: The number of rows in this section is easily adjusted to accommodate the intended shoe size. Simply work until the entire length of knitting measures the total length desired for slipper, minus 2.5” (3”).
Row 37 (45): Repeat the same steps used to turn the heel.
Row 38 (46): Repeat Row 22.
Wrap the #5 decorative yarn around the loom once. Cut this yarn strand here.
BBO all pegs. Wrap the #6 yarn strand around the loom twice. Cut this yarn strand here.
The slipper will now be seamed up in a “T” shaped manner. It might help to pin slipper edges in place before proceeding to ensure an even seam. Use the #5 weight yarn tail to seam up the toe, and the #6 weight yarn to seam up the top of the slipper until 1” (1.5”) ( below the button loop. Knot securely at this point.
Stitch the button onto the side opposite the button loop so that it still shows when the cuff is folded down.
Weave in all ends and trim close to work.
Using a needle and thread or lighter weight yarn, stitch the leather bottoms securely in place. (Sample uses a blanket stitch, but an overhand stitch will work as well.)
**Step by Step Double Wrap Short Row Instructions:
To wrap and turn (W&T): Remove the loop from the peg and hold it. With working yarn, simply wrap around the peg, then place the loop back on the peg.
- EW18 (21), W&T peg 19 (22).
- EW12 (14) to peg 7 (8), W&T peg 6 (7).
- EW11 (13) to peg 17 (20), W&T peg 18 (21).
- EW10 (12) to peg 8 (9), W&T peg 7 (8).
- EW9 (11) to peg 16 (19), W&T peg 17 (20).
- EW8 (10) to peg 9 (10), W&T peg 8 (9).
- EW7 (9) to peg 15 (18), W&T peg 16 (19).
- EW6 (8) to peg 10 (11), W&T peg 9 (10).
- EW5 (7) to peg 14 (17), W&T peg 15 (18).
- EW4 (6) to peg 11 (12), W&T peg 10 (11).
- (Men’s Size: EW5 to peg 16, W&T peg 17.)
- (Men’s Size: EW4 to peg 13, W&T peg 12.)
Increasing Begins: Each W&T will make a total of 3 loops on that peg (lift both wraps and loops already on W&T peg as one, then W&T), and the peg before the W&Ts will be KO 2 loops over 1, then 3 loops over 1 as the pegs increase.
- EW4 (4) to peg 14 (16), W&T peg 15 (17).
- EW5 (5) to peg 10 (12), W&T peg 9 (11).
- EW6 (6) to peg 15 (17), W&T peg 16 (18).
- EW7 (7) to peg 9 (11), W&T peg 8 (10).
- EW8 (8) to peg 16 (18), W&T peg 17 (19).
- EW9 (9) to peg 8 (10), W&T peg 7 (9).
- EW10 (10) to peg 17 (19), W&T peg 18 (20).
- EW11 (11) to peg 7 (9), W&T peg 6 (8).
- Women’s Size: EW18 to peg 24 (KO 3 over 1 on peg 18 and KO 2 over 1 on peg 19). Women’s Size heel/toe is complete.
- (Men’s Size: EW12 to peg 20, W&T peg 21).
- (Men’s Size: EW13 to peg 8, W&T peg 7).
- (Men’s Size: EW21 to peg 28 (KO 3 over 1 on peg 21, and KO 2 over 1 on peg 22). Men’s Size heel/toe is complete.
Heel/Toe Video Tutorial, if needed:
*To contact Bethany Dailey, simply submit a comment at the bottom of this post. :)
Lovely Bun Hat
Gardens in Giverny
Eureka Knee Highs
Nyahbelle’s Mermaid Tail
Poncho with Fingerless Mittens (double knit)
Stitchology 28: Large Herringbone
Sugar & Spice Scarf
Messy Bun Beanie
Stitchology 27: Little Pines
Snow Kisses Shawl
Loom Knit & Win
Simple Shrug for 18″ Dolls
Zippy Faux Möbius Scarf